Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Feb 2003 05:33:50 -0800
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: air-conditioner sealant

--- Clarence J Falarski <lamont@MINDSPRING.COM> wrote: > Hey group: > > Got my JC Whitney catalog yesterday and in the > section where they sell cans of R134A coolant they > also sell cans of sealant which supposedly stops > leaks in hoses, o-rings and minor rubber gaskets. > > Does anyone have any real knowledge or expertise > with this product.

I tried it in my 1997 Jetta since it had a small leak in the evaporator and it worked for about a month. I added a second can, didn't work at all. I bought a new evaporator, now I'm waiting for a long weekend to pull the dash and replace it.

Replacing the o-rings in a Vanagon isn't that hard, the only ones that are a pain are the ones on the expansion valve and evaporator which require disassembly of the rear housing.

If your hoses are leaking, I would recommend replacing them with the barrier type hoses, especially if you are converting to R-134A.

If you haven't ever dropped the rear housing for cleaning and resealing, you probably should. It will make a big different in the amount of air pushed through the system.

Good luck,