Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:23:06 -0800
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Re: HELP! '81 cratered on the way to work this morning... UPDATE
Comments: To: ok artguy <okartguy@HOTMAIL.COM>

Replace the starter solenoid.

Jim

ok artguy wrote: > I tested the new switch; it had no effect on the starter motor running when > the battery's connected. The starter's not engaging, only the motor is > spinning. Also, my van has a Weber conversion, so I can rule out the AFC > components. I'm assuming that something has shorted out beneath the dash, as > I could smell hot wires when the incident ocurred. I pulled the fuseblock > down and shined a flashlight in behind to see if anything was amiss, but of > course there was nothing obvious. I guess I need to trace out the main line > to the starter? > > JJ > > > > >> From: Stan Wilder <wilden1@juno.com> >> To: okartguy@hotmail.com >> Subject: Re: HELP! '81 cratered on the way to work this morning... UPDATE >> Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:37:25 -0600 >> >> You can just plug that new switch in and hold it in your hand and turn >> the slotted union. >> If the starter turns the engine over then you just have to look elsewhere >> for the trouble. >> I'd try unplugging everything in the engine compartment one connector at >> a time and re plugging it. >> The temp sensor is right near the fuel pressure regulator near the fire >> wall on the driver side. >> Try unplugging it and attempt a start with it unplugged (I've found >> broken wires inside the insulation before). >> Its about $13.00 if you need one. >> Last bit of advise that you can do and stay clean ............... pry the >> top off your AFM (black square plastic) >> be sure that your arm goes all the way over and closes the switch for >> your fuel pump on the far right of the arc. >> There is also a ground wire on your Double Relay straight up from the >> Fuel Pressure Regulator ......... be sure its grounded, a brown wire >> normally under the screw that holds the resistor pack. >> >> Stan Wilder >> > > > _________________________________________________________________ > STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* > http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail > > . >