Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:26:54 -0800
From:         Debra Clark <clark10006@COX.NET>
Subject:      AT and high RPM,
              was: Of Crotchety Knees and Autotranny Conversions
Comments: To: Andrew Fox <afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU>

I've heard this several times recently in regards to RPMs over 4000 and how it's not good for the life of the engine. In fact, someone recommended Boston Bob's web site for additional information on the subject but I found very little. Is this really a problem? The owner's manual indicates that staying within the green area on the tach is recommended. The solid green extends to the 4000 RPM mark and after 4000 the green becomes staggered and then becomes staggered red by about 4500. (As I recall) So is it safe to stay within the solid green but not to sustain speeds over the 4000 mark? For how long?

For myself, I like to ride primarily in the slower lanes at 55 to 60 and I like the comfort and convenience of the Autotranny. My husband tends to be a more leaden driver.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Fox" <afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 5:12 PM Subject: Re: Of Crotchety Knees and Autotranny Conversions