Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Feb 2003 19:52:40 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Custom Instrument Pod

>I just ran across a picture that came from somewhere - and heaven on >knows, given the state of my computer files --- I've got stuff all over >---.... anyway, this picture id of some kind of VW van. it is a shot of >the dash from outside the vehicle with the door open. Right side of dash >loks Vanagonish. But the left side is anything but. It has a beautiful >instrument pod, about 5 large round instruments in a row, bigger than >our speedometers, right in front of the driver. All were white back >ground w/black letters/numbers. Boy would I love to have that setup! >Anybody have an idea what this may have been?

This sounds like a German van with a 911 binnacle. I have images of a couple of these, if I remember rightly.

>And that brings me to the subject: Has anyone ever attempted to build a >custom instrument pod. A really nice, space age, airliner-nice >instrument pod, for our beloved Vanagons?? I'm really curious. With all >that copper/plastic strip stuff we have so much trouble with, I wonder >if it could be done and everything still work?

I'm thinking of it, making a custom (fiberglass) dash fascia with hidden stereo components (using old computer CD drives as sliding doors) and with backlit Golf instruments (lots of work there). -- Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut