Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Feb 2003 02:44:10 EST
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      SA dash? was:Re: Custom Instrument Pod

I'm still curious to see how the instrument pod and dash were upgraded by VW in the later model South African Vanagons (Microbus and Caravelle) up to the year 2002. It would seem they had to offer something more than the same old offering that was in place in 1991 carried up since 80. There are signs of upgrades on the later South African models as far as larger windows, larger brakes, larger wheels, upgraded grill, the option of fancy alloy wheels and leather steering wheels, height adjustable seats--and all this I'm getting from a 1997 SA brochure. The brochure of course does not show the dash or really anything much of the interior..except.... One extremely small photo suggests the 97 SA bus had a fully modern-looking padded dash like you might see in a Golf. Of course it is for a right hand drive vehicle. But the pod on some year SA buses might mount on the left side as in the US application.

Logic, combined with wishful thinking, would suggest the dash pod-however it was upgraded--most likely bolts to the dash the same way the clusters have since 1980. Could they have been available with an oli pressure gauge, or voltage gauge?

Either way if I were in a Right hand drive country, well, I'd move back to a civilised country. But if that was impossible I'd sure look into putting one of them fancy SA complete padded dashboards in my bus.

Anyway, I'd sure like to see a pic of the interior of those SA busses from 92 through 02 and see how the dash changed, what could be retro fitted onto a USA bus and the like. I's like to see the steering wheel options as well, if only for curiosity.

Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA