Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Feb 2003 06:54:46 -0700
From:         Bill N <freeholder@STARBAND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Of Crotchety Knees and Autotranny Conversions

Well, I have an '81 aircooled Westy. I have no problem cruising at 70 on the eway, and I hold it down to that even though it is perfectly willing to go faster. Keep in mind that I see elevation changes from 2500' to 8500' within an hour of my home (SE Arizona), which is located at 4300', so we are talking about very hilly conditions here. I have an auto because I want an auto. I would guess that you either have no experience with an auto, or the one you do have experience with runs like crap.

Bill

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Fox" <afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU> > > Why not just trade your van with someone that has an automatic. Most > owners with automatics would rather have a manual so you could probably > get a van that's a little nicer than yours and call it a fair trade. > Probably save you and someone else that wants an auto tranny a lot of > work. Also realize that top speed in an auto tranny vanagon is around 60 > mph, unless you have big tires or feel comfortable running it over 4000 > RPM. Top speeds on hilly freeways are about half that. Not very > practical if you ask me, especially considering that gas mileage is less > than with a manual tranny (16-18 mpg).