Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:40:45 -0600
From:         Birkenfeld Jeff <BirkenfeldJeff@JOHNDEERE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Of Crotchety Knees and Autotranny Conversions
Comments: cc: "afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU" <afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU>

From: Andrew Fox <afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU> >Also realize that top speed in an auto tranny vanagon is around 60 >mph, unless you have big tires or feel comfortable running it over 4000 >RPM. Top speeds on hilly freeways are about half that.

I disagree. I own 2 '89 autos (non-westy) and both run around 68-70 at 4000 rpm with stock 14" rims and 205/14 Michelins and stock 2.1 engines, one with 189,000miles. Heck, second gear winds out to 50mph at 4200rpm. I've driven one every summer for the last 4 yrs. from Southwest Missouri to Dallas Tx (cat transport to Stan's neighborhood) at runs of 70mph-80mph with no speed/rpm related problems. This drive begins in the Ozarks (hilly terrain) and runs through some hills in Eastern OK towards Tx. On hills, I'm slowed similar to a stock vanagon with manual trans (I drove one the first year I began this trek) and I see no disadvantage with the automatic transmission vanagon other than perhaps a perceived slower 0-60mph time (3 forward gears vs. 4). I believe Frank G was going to explore the gearing of the automatic in his quest of ideal engine swaps and transmission selections. I look forward to his findings and will search the archives accordingly.

John, I think one can create a clean conversion with the right amount of parts but it would be costly if you're not DIY.

JB

ps...andrew, what you askin' for the westy?