Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:24:46 EST
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: SA dash? was:Re: Custom Instrument Pod
Comments: To: andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ

In a message dated 2/21/2003 1:19:38 AM Pacific Standard Time, andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ writes:

<< I have examined photos, and despite what I've HEARD, I cannot see that the windows are any bigger than on German T3s. They come no closer to the gutter or waistline crease. The windshield dips no further either. >>

I suppose it depends on what year SA bus. The photos I have of a 97 or 98 bus show the waistline appears to be in the same place as say a 91 Vanagon. But the ridge in the body above the waistline which amounts to say a 1" shelf on the 91 has been done away with by 97. On the 91 Vanagon this "shelf" runs the length of the bus from the front vent wing window to the far rear side window. On the SA 97 bus this "shelf" starts again at the front wing window but takes a bend at the rear of the front door roll down window and heads up vertically to the roof line of the door where it fades into the body. This leaves no "shelf" under the two side rear windows and acommodates the slightly lower bottom edge of the window maybe offering another inch or so of glass from top to bottom. It also smooths out the body line in that there is not the long "rectangular" ridge that is created by the metal between the 1" "shelf" and the waistline indent.

In the photos I have of a direct side view you can definately see the the two side rear windows (the one in the slider and then the one behind that) have a lower bottom edge than the bottom edge of the roll down window in the front doors.

It seems the windshield and the back hatch window are the same as the 91 Vanagon, although there certainly could be a difference.

I'd still love to see a photo of the dash, although I have just re examined the small photo of the dah I referenced in the last e-mail and see it may not be a "Vanagon" dash in the SA brochure. the dash in a tiny photo is free standing on a table outside of any vehicle sitting in the desert sun. So it might just be a dash from some VW showing off how well VW products stand the high heat of the desert.

I'll work on scanning the brochure I have, although that will take a while as I have to get to a scanner.

Best Jeff