Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Feb 2003 20:56:58 -0600
From:         "Kris S. Seago" <KSeago@MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject:      Symptoms: Rough idle when cold. Diagnosis?

Hi all,

The patient: 1984 Vanagon 1.9L. 120K miles Symptoms: Rough/no idle when cold. Motor will start and will idle at approx 1000 rpms until I give it a little gas to move along. The idle speed will drop to zero and "bounce" back to 800 or so (with attendant screeching belts and blinking idiot lights) and typically die unless I force a higher idle by keeping my foot on the gas. After warm-up (the temp gauge moves off the peg to perhaps 1/4 up the range), the engine will idle fine at approximately 1000 rpms. It will however, cyclically slowly increase idle speed to approx 1300 rpms and then drop back to 1000. Diagnosis?

Thanks in advance,

Kris S. Seago