Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Feb 2003 08:32:45 EST
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power mirror conversion how to??
Comments: To: bbutler@PRODIGY.NET

In a message dated 2/17/03 2:30:19 AM, bbutler@PRODIGY.NET writes:

<< how easy....or not.... the conversion is electrically. >>

Brian, my man, it all depends on your threshold of pain. In order to make a respectable job of it, the most direct path to your end is to get the factory wiring harnesses. You may also need the rubber door looms from a later model to accommodate the increased number of conductors. I just replaced a half dozen of the conductors which run from the left side of the dash to the drivers door for the power mirrors. If I had to do it again, I might remove the dashboard to speed up the process. If I were installing power mirrors in a van not so equipped, I would DEFINITELY remove the dashboard.

One thing to check is whether or not your van has the necessary connectors under the dash wired but spared. They could be missing from the early model years which would greatly escalate the amount of work involved. Not counting the grounding, there are 10 multipin connectors incorporated into the wiring configuration of the power mirrors and wires to every one of them.

Now if you are just after that svelte look of power mirrors, or if you want mirrors which don't flop in the breeze, just mount the mirrors without the attendant hassle of wiring them. The power mirrors can be adjusted manually and they will hold the adjustment.

After working on a Vanagon's power mirrors, I appreciate even more Volvo's solution for the same design problem: a simple, foolproof, mechanical connection to the exterior mirrors. And, you don't even have to toggle the ignition switch to use it.

George