Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Feb 2003 12:55:18 -0800
From:         Nock <McNock@EASYSTREET.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon with ticco engine/vibrations
Comments: To: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@hotmail.com>
Comments: cc: email99@BELLSOUTH.NET

On trying to rid the "last vestige" of drown between 3-4K rpm.

Could it be that it is not the exhaust, but simply that the rear engine mounts are inadequate for the engine at 3-4K? I have heard that this engine, vibrates a lot AND has a natural resonance at 3-4K. Maybe the rear mounts (which are primitive and small by modern standards) are letting this vibration reach the frame, which in turn creates, in large open space of the vanagon body type, the "drone" type sound we hear?

How can we test if it is engine mount related our exhaust related?

Can any user help with this?

Andrew Nock

85 westy ticco engine with air and power steering w/ free hung exhaust per McClean w/ cat support bolted directly to engine block (ie no rubber) w/ rubber mounted alternator bracket per someone w/ mastic rubber sheets on body metal w/ extra muffler hangers on the manifold to make sure it is not resonating w/ drivers right side forward engine support bar rubber bushing welded w/ custom weather stripping on all doors to make door joints "surface flush" and help eliminate wind noise w/ 2 pieces of sheet rock laying flat on van floor to help eliminate sound from floor (this is temporary!)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Stevens" <mtbiker62@hotmail.com> To: <McNock@easystreet.com> Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2003 8:38 AM Subject: Re: vanagon with ticco engine