Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Feb 2003 08:43:41 -0500
From:         Ed Carroll <ecarroll@MAINE.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: dark side of ebay... (nvc)
Comments: To: Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>

Damon: Happy hippy girlfriends are cool! Their suitability for married life is a subject I'm pretty well qualified to address and in no way have time or energy to expound upon.

Ghias are also cool.

So, on to your question: I have had good luck with women in the past by simply giving an open-minded tour of the major systems of a motor vehicle. This must not assume much previous knowledge nor assume ignorance. Just point out the parts and explain how they do what they do and I've found that most women are A) impressed as hell, and B) immensely grateful for the plain-spoken de-mystification.

If she seems interested, there's always John Muir's "Idiot's Guide to VW Repair and Maintenance," or whatever it's called, which is pretty plain-spoken, covers Ghias and has some good drawings explainifying how things work.

I didn't see where you're from, but the first thing to look at on Ghias in New England (and elsewhere in the road-salted North) would be floorpan rust. Maybe you could get it up on jackstands and include an inspection of the underside as part of the tour. (It appears to me now that there are many opportunities for double entendre when talking about the cars/women nexus. I'll leave that for others.)

I came into partial responsibility for a 69 convertible when I married. As much as I look forward to it as a project, if she'd had a decent fishing boat it wouldn't have taken me so long to commit.

Ed Carroll 87 Weekender