Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:19:55 -0600
From:         populuxe <populuxe@EXECPC.COM>
Subject:      Toyota?? the toyota myth drivel

>If you don't mind an utterly dull-handling car, get a new VW. >Probably unreliable too. If you want something utterly reliable, get >a Toyota.

Arghh!! Does this guy get $0.05 every time he mentions Toyota???

Am I the only guy getting tired of hearing how great Toyotas are on the Vanagon list??? Please... let me know if I'm being overly sensitive.

BTW: VW (and Honda, Nissan and Subaru) rates consistently above Toyota on nearly every major consumer report in nearly every category. So who we going to believe: you (a cabbie) or the professional testing bureaus?

Viel Spass,

Jeff

my toyota gripes my (lexus)toyota, bought the 1990 es250 at 4 years-old and 45,000(just when the warranty expires) on a cold snowy day. i had a merkur xr4ti that i had just sunk 2k into in an effort to make it go like new and then a rear axel/cv? was on its way out and i was commuting 130 miles a day---i was sick of repairs etc!! i want something super dependable that i only go to a shop for oil changes. i go to a car lot. clear the snow off a small sedan. it's a lexus. that's a toyota(made in japan) and toyotas are supposed to be care-free and go 250,000 miles bla, bla, bla. i buy it. one week later on christmas the battery dies. a preview; i think i have put about 5 batteries in it in 6 years and 100,000 miles. needed an alt. about 250 bucks, maybe accounts for one of the batts. i have gone through my stack of misc. receipts and have put on 4 exhaust pipes, 2 mufflers and a cross over. the shop guy says some cars just eat up certain parts. door latch mechanism. $640. yea, i know most of you think you could have done it yourself, but i tried(drivers door wouldn't open,my wife is 6 mos pregnant and it's our only car) my neighbor(experienced body man) tried, then my shop of choice couldn't do it so i had to go to toyota. the speed sensitive pow steering has had a growl since day one that i should have picked up on before i bought it...you should hear it howl when it starts in sub zero weather. thats cost me $300 sun roof went off track. by the way i should have changed the timing belt about 80,000 miles ago at a cost of 6-700 bucks. i usually stick to preventative maint schedule. rear trunk strut went out / froze up. trunk corner now bent-- very strange. rust? has more rust on drivers rear fender than any rusty westy i've seen, but this is wisconsin. i grow weary of my complaints the more i think about it the more i could list. the point is: anyone who thinks toyotas are that great, c'mon over and compare it to my 90(same year) vanagon(same miles too). both original engines,and aprox same new price(20k). i do like the lexus, but i have not realized any long run savings, except it is nice and always worth spending a little cash to keep it going. it's our jump in and get somewhere fast car. now that i have 2 kids with child seats that thing is as claustrophobic as an iron lady. i don't have any plans to get rid of the toyota but for someone to refer to it as "utterly reliable" should have been with us when the alternator died in the drive threw of a fast food while i had a trailer hitched & loaded w/ ladders and painting equipment. i had to push thes.o.b. up to and past the pick-up window, then into the lot.

now i will shut up about toyota chris c