Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:12:39 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Jiffy Lube weirdness...
Comments: To: Andrew <Andrew@VWMAIL.NET>

I go with Stan. More and more i am dojg my own maintenance. I simply can't trust the shops. In those cases where I farms out the work, I don't just drop the van off and expect to pick it up ready to go. Never gonna happen. I study the situation, learn all I can, then make an appointment so I can be there while the work is done. I can advise the mechanics to those things peculiar to the vanagon. And this day and age, it's necessary. I can't tell you how many little lube shops etc that I have stopped into and they don't know which end the engine is in, or the transmission for that matter. And you get this 24 point service with an oil change to inclkude all fluids, right? They have no idea where to check the front washer fill point, or where to look to check the brake fluid level.

Nope, I don't go there anymore. I do it myself if possible, and I'm more content. Oh ocassionally still go. I just replaced all the tranny fluid. It's been three years, so it was due. Fresh Redline MT90. Got some tips from list members about how to use a 17mm bolt and two locking nuts in order to turn the fill and drain plugs. I've been having some hip problems, so opted to take it to the "corner lube" to get it done rather than struggle under the van. Poor guy working in the pit was totally confused by that bolt with the two nuts on it. He kept telling me "it don't fit!" I finally got him straightened out, and the job was done. Had a good laugh, but it kinda sad, and was an example of how not to go about things. Don't take your square treasure and just leave it. It may be destroyed by the time you get back.

BTW, I do my own CV lubes now. It's not a bad chore, and I keep a spare axle with CVs and Boots ready to go, just in case.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Andrew wrote: > On the same note as Stan, my boss's wife took there brand new Chevy pick up to a quick lube, for it's first oil change, and they told her that the tranny was in bad shape and talked her in to an engine and transmision flush, for a mear $100 more!!! I also know a few others that were talked in to "extra" maintance at quick lube places. My VW dealer tried to tell me that I needed the have the CVs repacked every 30k on my Jetta and that they would do it.... for a small fee. > > Andrew > > > _____________________________________________________________ > Free email, forums and features for events, clubs and cars. Show Pride in Your Ride with a yourname@vwmail.net address from http://www.vwmail.net >