Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Feb 2003 10:03:52 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      New Day Saturday

What's wrong with my VW? Friday I want to thank all the folks that hung with me through my Friday ramblings. Although it got a little zesty for an hour or so, everything worked out just lovely. The next generation of Vanagon, Syncro and Westy owners are learning to read right now in the first grade. When their turn comes to get a VW Bus, Van, or Vanagon series they're going to be looking for nice units that depict the VW as a whole. In my search over two years I found lots of modified Vanagons in various stages of 'improvement' and I stayed with my search until I found a one owner pure VW Westy. I have made every effort to only modify things that are reversible, Oil Pressure flexible line, Dash mounted instrument cluster, portable speakers, oil coolers, radios etc. I'm not saying that I have a show stopper or a pristine Westy but it isn't full of added holes, speaker cut outs, A/C modifications. I concede that I'd like more power like everyone else but I've adapted my thinking to live longer, slow down. In many situations fighting head winds or climbing long big hill ramps I glue my eyes to my gauges and try to determine whether to push it or play safe. (more important in an Air Cooled) Folks in mountainous regions have the double problem of lower compression at high altitudes and the never ending problem of the next mountain climbing challenge. I've been there and I just had to take Mt. Ranier in second gear for a full two hours at 25 mph. In a recent visit to a used bookstore I found a 1987 Automobile Lemons book. The book was not only a listing of the individual potential Lemons but the methods and letters and reporting procedures to start the ball rolling to get resolution. The Water Cooled Vanagon was right in there with other potential Lemons and it clearly listed most of the problems I see addressed on the list everyday. It requires a lot of courage to continue with the Water Cooled VW engine but even with the down side maintenance I believe that long term the investment isn't so bad. When I visit E bay I see that many Waser Boxer are being parted out. If that trend continues you'll have a vehicle that is in demand and a limited number still available. Texas has so few Vanagons and Westies that I've only seen possibly five on Texas highways in eight years. The population of Bay Busses is much higher but I seldom see any of them on highways. I've been told that in the North West 'You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Vanagon'. I'm hoping that is true and the availability of Vanagons will be with us for a long time. I respect the work Frank G. has done on engine conversions and his continued efforts to support the list with his valuable input. The hang up in my mind is that an individual could often buy three running WC Vanagons for the price of the engine conversion. (True in Texas ......... elsewhere I don't know) I'm hoping that I haven't started any Zesty Responses with this post. It is simply the way I see to keep the Vanagon / Westy / Syncro on the American road longer.

Stan Wilder