Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Feb 2003 02:36:30 -0500
From:         Ian Heier <i.heier@SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Westy battery cable

Hi there, this is my first posting to the list so I hope you'll forgive any errors I make. I have a 1984 Blue full camper Westy in beautiful shape (read no rust!), with a '97 rebuilt 1.9 wasserboxer. Around 4 weeks ago at work after a really cold night (I work nights), I had trouble starting it, figuring it was the cold I got a boost and away I went. Well, this starting trouble got worse and I had to boost it a few more times to get going. I'm in Toronto and we've had some really bad cold snaps over the past month and the battery in my westy looked really old, at least over 5 years.

One cold morning two weeks ago I try to fire her up and no go! She was cranking but not turning over. Off to Sears I go to get an "International" type 40 batt. Slog it home on the bus hook it up..zoom!! off I go!

A week later, at my wifes place (we're seperated). It's a really cold night and I'm about to leave when the same thing happens. She'll crank but won't turn over. Cursing, I borrow her car for the boost. Then finally get it going after 20 minutes of charging. By this time I figure somethings not quite right (assuming the battery) but while on the way home the lights wink out and the engine die's. Reaching over while at a stop light (in a dead van) I jiggle the battery terminals and she suddenly comes to life (Ah Ha!). Off to Canadian tire for the new terminal and ground strap, a good clean-up of my battery box and she's fireing up really well now even in the coldest weather. I also think she's running smoother (could this be true? I've read the battery also acts as a filter for other electric components).

I'd like to replace the entire positive battery cable but it seems to be a VW only item since it's really long and I don't know what it connects to. Does it go strait to the starter?

Hope this helps someone else. Thanks, Ian H.