Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:58:34 -0800
From:         Mark Dorm <mark_hb@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Carat - Fair price?/ Carat History
Comments: To: PopTop88@CHARTER.NET

I bought my 1991 White Carat with 89,000 miles on it for 3,800 - the sliding door needed to be replaced, the wheel wells needed some cosmetic attention, one head gasket had been done not that long ago.... I now have 175,000 miles on it and counting, started to sell it when it had 130,000... but nothing happened... the other head gasket is corroded and I wonder if its because I used texaco coolant for a while, says, thats its safe for aluminum engines, but I was too tired to think to myself, 'that doesn't mean that its phosphate free'. Mechanic had put in 76 coolant and said it was phosphate free. But when I went to find some for sale, all the 76's had some other brand and I was afraid to buy it... so I reasoned, if they'll trust 76 then why not Texaco... thing is I had to match green for green because of the prohibition on mixing colors of coolant... I wish they had just stuck with VW coolant or the orange stuff... (by havoline isn't it...)

The only problems I've had are: 1. atf cooler broke causing coolant and tranny oil to intermix (175,000) 2. belt broke because the plates for the water pump (pulleys?) were on backwards - this caused the battery light to go on and then the coolant light went on with corresponding rise in temperature (was still less than 100,000 miles) 3. wheel bearing went bad on rear passenger side - there was a little bit of play in the wheel itself, not much, and when you spun the wheel around you could hear a noise from the where the axle joins the diff, apparently the noise was traveling up the axle from the bearings (175K) 4. ran out of gas once, thought it was something else because the guage floats a bit, so I got towed for nothing, ... guage probably floats because the gas tank has a kink in it from a contact sport, and so the baffles inside may not work as well 5. tires were slashed by some random whomever in a place where I knew no one while I was eating dinner, two tires on one side 6. fear about the corrosion on the head gasket - time spent fooling around with moroso, and ruining the bleeder on the radiator in the process, now covered with epoxy putty from a truck stop - stuff seems to help/work though 7. while fooling with moroso changed some coolant clamps and this improved the performance of the cooling system... and helped me realize that the mechanics (2) who told me that my radiator had a leak and needed replacing for a lot of money were both wrong 8. driving through the desert of nevada or utah one of the braided hoses in the engine compartment developed a pinhole leak - replaced with non braided hose - not sure if there is an advantage to the braided type 9. shortly after a second braided hose had to be replaced 10. the clamps that I added in 7, 8, 9 had to be tightened after they went lose and started spraying coolant everywhere... 11. temp sensor had to be repaced (II?) when the van developed this stalling-upon-start-up-while-stopping-at-the-first-stop-sign tendancy.. 12. changes of: oil, filters, atf, atf screen, coolant, sparks, leads rotor, cap, light bulbs, shocks (bilsteins), tires (used cheaps), o-ring on the oil cooler, gasket for atf pan 13. ignition was replaced when it seemed a bit weak 14. water pump has been replaced 15. vapor return hose of gas tank had to be fixed... gas would spill out when I went around a bend - think thats what happened - anyway you could smell the fume 16. lost two gas caps so far - didn't want to walk inside the gas station with a smelly gas cap - guess I should have waited to unlock it 17. oil light went on, seems it was a short, was raining hard, I moved the wire a bit, no problems since 18. atf spit up from torque converter onto engine block - subsided when screen and atf were changed (seems theres a lot of pressure in the atf - 90 lbs where the atf cooler is... what I was told...) 19. had the thermostat changed to a cooler one of I think 80 degrees?? with a matched fan switch... 20. use one and one/half bottles of water wetter in the coolant 21. had the rear heater core removed when the white turn thing spit itself off and coolant pissed out enough to wet the carpet, had to drive a little bit at a time to get to my destination... cause the coolant temp would go red... 22. parking tickets in new york (their meter was broke, but they fixed it and wrote me a ticket), another in new york, one in philly at a meter by Rhitenhouse Park, one in costa mesa for parking where you can't park all night, one in LA where the meter maid asked me to not leave so she could finish writing the ticket (if I had left, LAPD would have swarmed down on me... )... a moving violation in Pasadena in Old Town on Colorado for turning left where it says not too (but their signs are smaller than any you'd see in orange county, and they hang in the shadows not being lit at all), but overall less problems with police than with all the other cars I've owned...

I guess my luck hasn't been all bad... would be nice to own a second one, so I could take advantage of some of the stupid little things I've had to learn.

_________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus