Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:14:49 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Looking for Advice on 90 Carat
Comments: To: Willolyn99@AOL.COM

Bill. I'm one of the ones that says "If you don't spend your purchase price on parts and repairs again within a year, on a used Westy or Vanagon, you're an exception". All used cars are buyer beware and an anticipated nuisance. Robert NYC says "buy this van to drive cross country from NYC to California in a couple of months, any advice for road trips and what to have in the van Or what to do to the van to make it road worthy would be great." My advise to Robert was in the form of the two links to my web site, nothing more. http://williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/buyused.htm http://williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/shapingup.htm Going with the though that it is going to be his first car ................ I'd say, go for it but have AAA, several credit cards, some repair manuals and drive it for a few months, making some local 300 mile trips before you take it cross country. There is always the situation that he might have made the find of the century and is getting a really great vehicle. Every seller has motivation .............. how nuch and why are questions that they never answer. The PO of my van was the original owner and all I needed was a new engine and $2000.00 worth of other stuff within 12 months. It was still a bargain, but I did all my own labor, engine and everything else.

Stan Wilder

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:32:38 EST Bill Marshall <Willolyn99@AOL.COM> writes: > Someone said they would not recommend a Vanagon as a first vehicle. > I must > disagree. My own first vehicle was a piece of crap, saved from the > junkyard. > Rust everywhere, head gasket blown, all hoses wasted. > > I learned an incredible amount of automotive knowledge from that > car, because > I had to. I was too broke to get a real car. Mother Necessity also > had > another kid - Education. Nothing like being broken down to teach > some > valuable lessons. > > (At this point I will disclaim that if you live in a nasty urban > area, or in > the middle of nowhere in bad weather, this would not be a good > education. > You will die.) > > I still work on cars, to save money and because I enjoy it. And if > I do have > to take the cars in for service, I understand what is supposed to > happen > under the wrench and can monitor any shoddy workmanship or rip-offs. > All > because of a crappy $35 car. > > Bill Marshall > 85 GL Tiico "Pandora's Box" > Aurora, IL > >

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com