Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:13:35 -0600
From:         Joachim Beek <vw@BEEKNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: vanagon with ticco engine/vibrations

I'll claim that remark ;-)

I wouldn't say categorically "don't spend the money". If your shifter is otherwise fine, then replacing linkage parts or the bushings probably won't help your Tiico-induced vibrations. On the other hand, if the shifter is sloppy, or you have difficulty getting into particular gears, then fixing that is a good idea anyway and it may ease the vibrations.

There are ways in which shifter vibrations (not necessarily Tiico-induced) can be transmitted by bad bushings: if the sleeve in the frame cross member is gone, or if the two little plastic tabs on the front shifter rod which engage the little 1st/2nd/3rd/4th gear guide (this is in the box covering the joint with the vertical shift rod) are gone. Of course, this also affects "shiftability". The little tabs can only be replaced by replacing the front rod; that improved my shifting (as did replacing the sleeve in the frame) but did nothing for the vibrations.

I was able to minimise the rpm range over which the vibrations came through the shifter by rotating the shift rods a little. Unfortunately though, that got the shifter out of alignment just enough to make shifting a pain.

Another note about the vibrations: they are particularly noticeable in the shifter, but they manifest themselves in the frame too. I'd notice it in the clutch pedal, especially when pushing it in.

Before this gets any longer...those were my experiences with the Tiico buzz and shifter linkages. I hope you have better luck with yours.

Now I'm going for a beer. Joachim