Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:30:26 -0500
From:         Myron Lind <mdlind@RICA.NET>
Subject:      More diesel intake resonance
Comments: To: TDI List <TDI-conversion@yahoogroups.com>

Thanks to all who offered ideas and photos regarding my last resonance inquiry.

I have made a lot of changes, and have changed the resonance, but it is still there. Any more "muffler" ideas?

Here is the current set up:

I fabbed an "intake box" out of 6 inch PVC, ala David Marshall (thanks, David for the great description and photos). This is stuffed into the passenger side cubby and wrapped in some B-Quite insulating foam. The air comes out of the box and go across the back of the engine compartment with 2 1/2 exhaust tubing, cut and welded to fit around everything. Then, near the drive side of the engine compartment it drops down and then forward into the turbo. It has a total of three rubber connectors so it seems that I have reasonable isolation between the turbo (motor) and the van body (air intake box). "Seems" may mean that I don't have good isolation. Anyway, the air come into the fabbed air box via two 2" PVC elbows that connect to two original diesel vanagon air intake tubes. One tube hooks to the original plastic "inlet" from the diesel vanagon, the other goes into a 2" diameter 8" long PVC pipe with various holes drilled into to hopefully help confuse any sound waves that get set up. Both are right inside the passenger vent right behind the rear side window. The original diesel intake is mounted using several grommets to isolate from the van body. The PVC pipe is insulated from the van body using a strip of B-quiet foam. The plastic vent cover is not on at this time because the 2" PVC is in the way of the vent. I have wrapped the metal intake piping and the fabbed air box with various insulating materials. It is some quieter, but not enough. Wrapping the intake piping did make the turbo whistle noise vanish. The motor is nicely isolated from the carrier bars, has original and expensive VW mounts for the alternator and AC, belts and pulleys are all aligned and straight, etc. The exhaust piping does appear to have some vibration but no different than any other diesel I have owned. I have a glass pack muffler attached same method as original diesel vanagon. Exhaust tubing is various straights/bends welded and connected with those Walker type stretch clamps that are about 4 inches wide.

Here is the current noise situation:

The resonance seems to have moved up to the vent area, but seems very persistent at finding it's way into the van. If I stand by the vent there is a very deep throaty roar, not that different than before. Almost sounds like a low pitched far away fog horn. Inside the van there is a low resonance at idle that drowns out the motor noise. At various rpms it is not so bad. It seems worst somewhere between 2800 and 3200 rpm--not sure exactly because I don't yet have a tach. I am surprised by this, as I thought having two "mufflers" of larger diameter, a different sized air box, and yet a different size pipe between the air box and motor would have helped to eliminate some of this noise. Adding a layer of insulation and the rear bed did not significantly change the noise level (if it changed at all), nor did swapping the metal deck lid with a fiberglass one.

So, any other ideas before I start trial and error?? Or, any sound wave experts who can shed some light on how do reduce the noises??

Thanks for any help

Myron Lind 1982 Westy TDD/5 speed