Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Feb 2003 23:59:15 -0500
From:         Chris S <mrvolkswagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon Bass experiment - PART II

I friggin did it!

I got some bass.

I put in a Sony CDX-M730 head unit. It has built in hi and lo crossovers, a 7-band EQ, beer tap and a slew of other features. This is one of those 'black face' units that looks totally black when it's off. You can open the face to reveal the controls, which puts them at the perfect angle for the driver. The internal amp is beefy at 50W per channel max. These are real watts, not those Sparkomatic ones.

http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_be0c071f8b8aa596b60957893f485869/i- 1.JPG

I got 4 Infinity 3052CF speakers. They max out at 75W, with RMS of 25W. Frequency response is 90Hz to 20KHz. I mounted these INSIDE the factory speaker mounts. These sound very smooth and tight. I can play it loudly and they don't sound strained at all. These are suprizingly good for 3.5'' speakers! Beethoven's 5th Symphony never sounded this good! I added some sound-absorbend mats inside the passenger's and driver's door to reduce resonance and that 'ping' sound when you slam the door. Now they just go 'thunk'. Much better.

http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_abd2f211494f6dc320b80ac721eb4994/i- 1.JPG

I got a Q-logic box for a 10'' sub. This one fits perfectly behind the rear seat of my Westy. The top of the box is even with the top of the seat. The enclosure is about 13'' wide. Look at the trapezoid shape - it fits the angle of the rear seat too. The speaker faces the rear hatch and the sub is in the right-most place just behind the seat.

http://members.cox.net/threeday/PICT0214.JPG

http://members.cox.net/threeday/PICT0215.JPG

The sub is a 10'' dual-voice coil bazooka with 300W rms, 500W peak and a response down to 20Hz. This thing rocks and has a huge magnet. I never thought a little 10'' would sound this good. It has lots of bottom. It seems the lower the frequency the harder it hits. It still has enough snap and is not overly boomy. The bass vibrates all the cabinetry and the pop-top when I get really happy. I have the crossover set at 125Hz. It sounds tight enough for Jazz with enough bottom for dance music. It also brings a bit more realism to classical, but I do turn down the sub level a bit for that.

The amp is a Bazooka EL2100 which I'm running bridged. That gives me about 300 watts RMS driving the two coils of the sub. The amp sits under driver's seat and gets its power from the auxillary battery. This way I don't have to worry about draining my main battery when parked.

http://pics.returnbuy.com/RBImageSource/CBBA3/rb010105614527.jpg

Well, now I have bass and I can move the sub when I'm sleeping. I bought all items on Ebay at quite substantial savings. It took patience but it paid off.

boom, boom, boom let's go up to my room.. he he...