Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Feb 2003 15:06:46 -0500
From:         Howard Fleming <hfleming@MOOSEBIRD.NET>
Subject:      Re: OT - soliciting Jetta TDI reviews

We own a 2001 Jetta TDI with 51k plus miles on it. Mileage is running between 48 to 52 miles per gallon, combined city and highway driving (5 to 80mph....). I would highly recommend the car.

Downsides are finding oil for the car. It is "very" hard to find oil that meets the specs for the engine at your flaps, I have been buying my oil from the dealer (at $6.50/quart) since I have been unable to find suitable oil anywhere else.

Timing belt changes are at 40k for an auto, and 60k for a manual for the 2001 models (and I believe its longer now with the newer cars).

I am planning on letting the dealer change the timing belt when the time comes, I have some of the tools needed to do the job, but there is very little room for error when changing the timing belt on this engine (19.5:1 compression).

That said, if we could afford it now, we would buy my wife a 2003 TDI Jetta Wagon, and when I replace the one I am driving now, will be looking for another TDI (I drive 140 miles/day commuting).

You can get some info on the tdi engine at www.tdiclub.com.

Hope this helps, Howard

hfleming@moosebird.net Front Royal, VA 2001 Jetta TDI - 85 Vanagon 84 Westy 84 Vanagon GL (spare parts that turned into a project), 1999 Jetta (yet another project...) 1945 Cletrac AG6 (for sale) 1949 Ford 8N tractor