Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:28:39 -0500
From:         Derek Drew <derekdrew@RCN.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.6 SA engine kit
Comments: To: SyncroSA@yahoogroups.com
Comments: cc: Syncro@onelist.com

>At 05:29 AM 2/27/2003 -0800, you wrote: >Yes, the Audi 5 is a great motor. Reliable, durable, smooth, etc. It is >a little long and a little tall for the Vanagon engine compartment but >they can be shoehorned in. Syncros have more room for them.

>Mark Drillock >87 Syncro w/ Audi 5 cyl, 4 years and 50k mostly trouble free miles.

Hummmm....

This post of mine is nothing but chat but here goes since I am interested.... the motor sounds good but I wondered about three things:

1. I think I heard that it is true that you can sort of cut the rear decklid and have that part of the motor stick up into the engine compartment hidden within your existing rear mattress without raising the rear mattress at all. If it is true that one can make the motor fit by merely removing some of the foam from inside that rear mattress, then this sounds like a positive thing albiet probably a little noisier.

2. Does the motor require that the rear skid plate in the syncro be modified or lowered, or is there any part of the motor which would hang down further than the rear skid plate? If so, then this would be an argument against the motor; if not, then it would be an argument for the motor.

3. South Africans report that their Waterboxer motors in size 2.3 have so much torque that they are actually able to pass vehicles with these Audi 5 cylinder motors going up hills on the highway. If indeed a modified Waterboxer can pass one of these Audi motors on the highway, then this would appear to be a strong argument in favor of the 2.3 motor, which would be a much easier installation because it is basically the same motor we have now. What we don't know is whether the 2.3s are able to pass the Audi motors primarily because of gearing issues that could be corrected, with the result that the Audi motor will then prove to be the stronger contender. Comments on this subject from list members would be of interest and are solicited.

4. I'd like to hear more about the weight of the Audi motors as installed vs. the Waterboxer motor. If the increase in weight is an extra 100lbs then I figure no big deal -- but if it is a lot more than that, it would start to give one pause.

One of our resident experts on the installation of the Audi motors is our Karl Mullendore.

One of the posts saying that Vanagons with the WBX 2.3 motors will pass a Vanagon with this Audi motor is reproduced immediately below. After that for reference is also Jan Visser's summary of his thoughts of the 2.3 vs. a diesel motor being discussed at that time.

============================================= 2.3 WBX Said to Pass Vanagons With 2.5 And 2.6 Liter Motors ============================================= see this post below:

X-eGroups-Return: sentto-2305947-1749-1028403281-derekdrew=rcn.com@returns.groups.yahoo.com X-Sender: willem.vandermerwe2@sasol.com X-Apparently-To: SyncroSA@yahoogroups.com X-MS-Has-Attach: X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: Thread-Topic: VEC 2.3S (Fairly long) Thread-Index: AcI6rTuosNbCScWvRh2Eq8Hp6yxK4Q== To: <SyncroSA@yahoogroups.com> X-OriginalArrivalTime: 03 Aug 2002 19:34:33.0100 (UTC) FILETIME=[CB08ACC0:01C23B24] From: "Van der Merwe, Willem (JW)" <willem.vandermerwe2@sasol.com> X-Yahoo-Profile: vdmerwejw Mailing-List: list SyncroSA@yahoogroups.com; contact SyncroSA-owner@yahoogroups.com Delivered-To: mailing list SyncroSA@yahoogroups.com List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:SyncroSA-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com> Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 21:34:34 +0200 Subject: [SyncroSA] VEC 2.3S (Fairly long) Reply-To: SyncroSA@yahoogroups.com

Hi Guys, I have previously posted some info on my VEC 2.3S from Volks Engine Change in Edenvale but I can give you some more info. I had the conversion done in November 2000 shortly after I saw the first signals of the end of my Syncro's supposedly original 2.1 engine. (It had 174 000 km on at that stage). I am now very close to my 30 000 km service on the reconditioned engine and I can assure you that nearly all those km's were happy ones. The few problems that I had were mostly not related to the engine but related to other parts of the vehicle which is getting fairly old. My Syncro is a 1989 Caravelle which is in daily use. Of course it is also my holiday vehicle and I also enjoy taking it to faraway places - I just do not have the time to take it out as often as I like. I only recently removed the prop shaft to see what the effect is on consumption etc. so I am referring to times with the prop shaft all of the time. I have 27x8.5R14" BFG AT's on with which I am very happy. In fact I believe there is no better real 4x4 tyre than the BFG AT's and if I have the cash I will go for the 15" ones (30x9.5R15).

Fuel Consumption: From 20 l/100km to 9l/100km with an average of 15 l/100km. Typically if I drive a steady 110 km/hr on tar with the aircon on I get about 13 l/100km.

VEC claims to deliver the following with their 2.3S conversion: 90 kW @ 5400 rpm and 195 Nm @ 2650 rpm. If you compare the VEC 2.3 to some of the other engines you will see that it gives more torque than any of the 4 cyl golf/jetta engines but the 1.8l 16V and 2l (8V & 16V) golf/jetta engines gives 10 to 20 kW's more (@ about 6000 rpm's). Compared to the 5 cyl engines you will see that the VEC 2.3 gives 10 kW less than the 2.5&2.6 but only 5 Nm less torque. The VEC 2.3 max torque is at 1000 rpm lower than the 5 cyl models.

The VEC guys do a number of things when they convert the 2.1 to the 2.3 but what I see as a major advantage is that it is a drop in (or in our case: lift in) replacement to the 2.1. There are no other changes to hoses, cables, wiring etc. You will not even see a difference between the installation of a 2.1 if you compare it to the 2.3. What I like is that it is a light engine which fits perfectly - the only added weight I have is my massive bull bar (which only serves to keep the additional lights in place)

In terms of the performance I feel the VEC 2.3 is the best choice: You get excellent torque which starts at low revs and carries right through. When stuck behind a 22m truck going at 100km/hr I have sufficient power to accelerate and overtake in a reasonably small gap. I normally travel at about 110 km/hr (speedo and true speed) but if I put my foot down there is enough power to accelerate up to the point where the rpm's get too high for what I would prefer. I find that the VEC 2.3 keeps it's speeds pretty good on most uphills. When approaching a hill at 110 km/hr the hill needs to be pretty steep for the speed to drop significantly. I actually found that I catch up with a lot of other vehicles on the uphills. The vehicles I catch up with on the uphills include 2.5 & 2.6 5 cyl Busses, Tdi Landrover 110 defenders & KB 280 TD Isuzus. The first time that I realized this was in the hilly parts of the Eastern Cape where the road continuously goes up and down hills. I caught up with a Normal 2.5 Caravelle Bus and saw that on every uphill I pass the bus and every downhill he comes past me. It could see that the driver wanted to go faster on the uphills but he couldn't. I could have accelerated on the downhills as well but I just kept my speed at a max of 110 km/hr. What is more is that my bus was loaded with all our holiday stuff (including my wife and daughter) and the other one looked empty except for the driver. I know that this is not scientific proof at all but I have seen the same thing a few times now.

I also find that I have good torque at low RPM. I got up a few very steep inclines in G gear with the rpm's at about 1000 when I reached the top. In every case I expected the engine to stall but it carried me over the last bit. I see this as a Syncro's weakest point (not a low enough low gear) and I am convinced that the additional torque at low RPM's makes an enormous difference. With the other engines you have to get to high revs before you get the same torque if at all.

I do not seem to have vibration problems related to the engine, gearbox, prop combination. I had some, balanced the prop and they are gone. I had some overheating problems, replaced the radiator (old one was incredibly foaled up) and now everything is cool. I service (oil & filter change at least) every 7500 km which is also VEC's recommendation. Noise levels are low (especially after new exhaust). I only have good experiences from the guys at VEC and they have gone out of their way to assist me with everything.

I think I have told you what I can think of. If there is something specific you can let me know and I can pass it on.

Regards Willem van der Merwe