Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:33:07 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: LVC: Wheel Bearing Press Requirements
Comments: To: TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>

TJ Hannink wrote

>I built a makeshift press out of an old floor jack, >unistrut and brackets to get a CV joint off an axle >one time. I don't think I would try it on a lower ball >joint however. > > > For removal of stuck CV's (the splined inner race) I use the brass drift and the 3 pound hammer.

You do not need a work bench and/or vise to remove the CV..

With one hand, simply hold the axle suspended vertically just a few inches off of a pile of rags, leaves or what have you. Hold the axle with the fingers curled so you can hold the drift parallel against the axle at the same time. With the bottom tip of the drift on the inner race, smack the upper end of the drift with the hammer. The axle will bobble up and down with the blow but that is of no consequence. Try and not let the blow drive the axle end into the rags, etc. Move the drift around the axle a few degrees, and smack it again. Continue moving and smacking and it WILL come loose. Not much can stand that kind of momentum pressure. This little trick is really handy when on the road and you must do field replacement of a CV.

You may have to apply "The Bulley Principle" to get it to move but it WILL move.

PS: "The Bulley Principle" , kindly posted to this list by GM Bulley, is to strike the blow up to 200 times. Even the immovable will move under those circumstances!! :-)

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver