Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:37:42 -0500
From:         Neil Curri <ncurri@MEDIA.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      fair asking price?

Thanks to those on the list who offered their advice regarding my '91 GL problems. I had a head gasket leak and was told by a few folks that you're better off doing an engine rebuild or subaru conversion (engine's got 128,000 miles) than fixing. But I didn't want to invest the time or money. So I flushed the radiator, made sure I got phosphate-free coolant to refill (I used Sierra, btw), and put in Barr's Leaks. Now it's dry as a bone underneath the vehicle and temperature is holding steady. My fan kicked on in heavy traffic the other day, but temp was still good.

I was going to offer it up for $2000... I just had the rear brakes replaced (drums and wheel cylinders) before I found out my coolant leak was the head gasket. The front brakes may need replacing (pads are definitely worn), but it's got new plugs and wires, and runs fine. I've seen strong opinions expressed on the list about using Barr's Leaks, but every post I've seen from those who've used it on minor leaks state that they've got many more miles out of the engine. The body is immaculate (was painted 2 1/2 years ago, when I got it), though the rear bumper has taken a hit. Interior is fairly clean. I'm in CT if anyone wants to ask me about it, but in any case I was hoping folks on the list would weigh in on a fair asking price.

It was fun while I had money, but now that I'm a poor student again it's just not practical. I used it to haul band equipment to shows around the northeast (http://www.71sunbeam.com), one trip to North Carolina, and a camping excursion in the White Mountains this past spring. Just bought a '94 Golf this morning and the van is now officially "parked" in front of my apartment.

thanks, -Neil