Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:23:07 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: tranny swap - not really
Comments: To: poll7356@uidaho.edu

In defense of those folks that are new to VWs. Many VW owners aren't familiar with preventive maintenance and they don't think ahead that, "I'm going to be doing this again if I don't put the extra parts and effort in now". It is the American way to drive a car until it gives some sign that there is a problem or if it has given the signs they were ignored because the owners just don't have enough experience with the peculiarities of VW to identify the onset of potential failures. Lots of list members are young folks and often get taken advantage of by repair shops or they get bad information. Many read the manual but never having the part in their hands they don't interpret the instructions in the book properly. When the book says something, they expect the fix to work, as we know the books don't cover troubleshooting very well. If the fixes don't work they get frustrated and just start replacing parts (that is something I did for about a year.) It is my thought; That the brain operates on a series of mirrors that store information, as the brain hits on a synapse sequence it flashes all the mirrors trying to find a match, if a match isn't found then the mind tries to get close with something that is already in the mirror history. Persons without a mechanical history or previous on hands experience just simply don't make a match because the mirror pictures don't exist at that time. Anyone that has never removed a transmission, clutch, flywheel doesn't think about other parts in the neighborhood that may be prone to failure or other future problems that they may circumvent. Even a first timer looking at an exploded view of the 'neighborhood' in the instruction manual doesn't realize that preventive maintenance should be exercised while they are right there at the other parts. Often the pictures and instructions give little or no explanation of any, "It's good planning to" scenario. When a dealership or mechanic shop adds on these extra parts and extra labor the customer comes unglued and says "I just wanted the transmission stuck up there and bolted in". In the case of the fellow that is installing his transmission I'd imagine that he doesn't have enough experience to know that it takes only the transmission to fix his car but if he doesn't look farther he's going to be back in there again but instead of a $990.00 part he's going to be duplicating the transmission labor for a part that could be just 90 cents and require about the same drudge as his tranny replacement. Ok this is the wrap. If someone asks a dumb question it's the smartest thing that they can do.

Stan Wilder

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com