Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 5 Mar 2003 12:11:28 -0800
From:   Harald Rust <harald_nancy_vw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:   Re: Aaaargh!!!

If you need new carpets in your vanagon, just make your own. You have many more color choices that way. I have white berber carpet in my westy. Who wants to live in ugly gray tones?

Here's an easy weekend project. I did this a few years ago, and the carpets are still holding up nicely. I went to a discount carpet store, and found a remnant piece, big enough for the 4 pieces necessary to re-carpet the camper. I didn't really re-carpet, since I left the original carpet in place, and layered the new carpet over it. The purpose of the new carpet is to protect the original installed carpeting from damage and dirt. The new carpeting is easily removable, and on a nice sunny day, can be washed out with soap and water, and will dry out in a day. I used a closed-loop office-type high-wear remnant. It also gives one the chance to redecorate in a lighter color. The original colors always seem to be grays and browns to hide dirt. The method: 1) Make patterns of the various pieces. Always start with the biggest piece first. There are 4 pieces for the vanagon, 2 in the front, 1 between the seats, and 1 big piece in the back. The patterns can be made from cardboard or heavy paper. Don't forget to mark the tops of the paper patterns. If you measure them with a tight fit, they won't slide around. No glue or fasteners necessary. 2) Lay the carpet on the ground upside down. Now lay the pattern on the carpet backing with the side marked "top" against the carpet backing. You don't want to cut the pieces inverted. 3) Trace the pattern with a heavy marker. Then cut the carpet on the back side with a utility knife or carpet knife. Carpet is easier to cut from the back. Use a straight edge as a guide, and a piece of wood under the carpet. 4) Once the piece has been cut, use a utility scissor to cut off loose edges, etc. 5) Seal the edges of the carpet to bind the fibers. If you don't do this, the edges of the carpet pieces just keep unraveling, and the loose fibers make a mess. You can use a torch or a heat gun. Put the torch on low flame, and with a smooth motion, melt the edge of the carpet, section by section. Be careful not to burn it. Do this outside, and don't breathe the fumes. It's a good idea to wear a respirator for this. It does make a nice finished edge. For a simple curve, you can heat the back of the carpet, bend it, and it will keep that shape. Harald