Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Mar 2003 10:37:41 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: How many Vanagon list members
Comments: To: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>

Every list has a core of people that are active with the commmunications. Around that are a lot of people that are always coming or going - joining or leaving. Newbies are at a loss of how to get any information about their favorite subjects or answers to their questions, old timers have amassed so much knowledge that the Newbies questions can get tiring.

But it's a lot like children growing up. Every new generation thinks they are the first ones to discover sex when countless generations before them have BTDT, long before the Newbie was a gleam in Daddy's eye. The Newbies ask all the same questions, the old timers look up and roll their eyes and think "Here we go again!"

An important factor in this list is the fact that among the active members, especially the "Old Timers" here, we have a living memory that contains knowledge of our direction, and information about our vans, activities, events, sources, etc, etc, etc. that is instantly accessible That is, in my opinion, one of the most valuable assets that we have as a group. I have seen it in other groups, and when that is stiffled, people drift away, the group dies. This is extremely important. The concept is so important, that in the real world of business, a company that loses it's living history - ie, enough people leave that contain the active core knowledge of the operations , the nuts and bolts of it if you will - runs a real risk of failure as a business, or at minimum a fundamental change in what the business is.

It is true that the theme of this list drifts back and forth off the centerline of Vans, but that is ok in my book. It adds interest and is stimulating to get varying points of view. And when we get to far afield, our list administrator, Tom Carrington, does a pretty good job of calling our hand and putting us back on track

As with all lists, if you don't like it, don't read it! Or, on the other hand, express an opinion. Otherwise, use the delete key. That is what it's for. There is a lot of stuff on this list and others that that I simply don't read. I don't have time or I am not interested. I delete it. Simple.

For all it's variety, I would not change this list in any way.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver