Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Mar 2003 11:21:37 -0600
From:         Chuck Mathis <cmathis@HOUSTON.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: How many Vanagon list members (and my brakes)

Bill,

There are several 'could be's' here. The cheapest and easiest is the brake fluid. When was the last time your brake fluid was changed? If the fluid has been in there more than a couple of years, changing the fluid and bleeding the system may bring the pedal back to life. Fresh fluid is a whole lot cheaper than a new master cylinder. Next I would check the condition of the flexible hoses since these are fairly easy to see and tend to get funky with age as well. You'll also want to check the wheel cylinders as well. Tossing in a new master cylinder won't do any good if you have problems with the other parts -- neither will changing the fluid but that only eats a few bucks and a little time.

My van was showing the same sort of symptoms last year before I changed the fluid. The system tightened right up with a load of fresh. I used one of those garden sprayer type pressure bleeders to flush the system -- the whole job took about 30 minutes including time to read the instructions, find the wrench and round up a large Taco Bell cup for the old fluid. If the "Southwest" that you're in is anywhere near Houston I'd be happy to help out with yours.

Chuck '85 Wolfsburg Westy - 'Roland the Road Buffalo'