Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Dec 1969 17:38:39 -0800
From:         Nolan Hester <waywest@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: How many Vanagon list members

Hi all,

It's certainly not shyness that limits my participation in the discussion; it's the limits of the discussion. I bought my 87 Westy 9 years ago (and joined this list 2-3 years ago) to travel spontaneously, camp in the desert, and stop sleeping on the ground. In short, to get out and see the world. But over the past six months or so, it feels more and more like the list never leaves the garage.

Not a criticism, really, mostly just a puzzlement that Robert's email kinda triggered. But if I had a nickel for every message about engine conversions, I could've paid for one by now. ;-)

For sure, I don't mind the maintenance discussions--all our vans are old and even a non-mechanic like myself finds tons of useful tips. And THANK YOU to all the list veterans who so patiently keep answering the same questions season after season about: heating and cooling, brakes and tires, lighting fridges & replacing poptops, etc and etc. But lately there just don't seem to be many other threads beyond these perennials.

For example, I asked last month if anyone had rented a Westy in Spain to which I got _one_ reply. That's happens and that's OK. What was a bit weird, however, is that no threads sprouted up about Europe travel in general, or hitting the road, or such. Discussions of what folks carry in their vans, likewise, are almost exclusively about tools rather than camping gear. So I lurk more than I talk because the list has its mind on things mostly mechanical.

As for folks who hate to keep hitting the delete key, the DIGEST version isn't just for high-volume lists. There are advantages to using DIGEST that go beyond just avoiding a flood of individual messages and only having to delete a few digests a day:

If you use digest, then when you receive a digest with useful topics, you can _redirect_ the digest to yourself, which keeps from gunking up the body with billions of > & | characters. With this fresh copy, you can then edit out non-relevant messages and change the subject line to flag the topic you want to save. Then don't actually send the message to yourself, just drag it to your Vanagon mailbox/folder. That way, you wind up with a searchable folder of your own most relevant topics right on your hard drive--which can save some wear and tear on the list veterans the next time the fridge absolutely refuses to light.

most respectfully, Nolan 87 Westy (El Oeste)

>Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 12:24:42 -0800 >From: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM> >Subject: How many Vanagon list members > >Is this "takeover " of the list by a few is keeping others away from >posting, or,are so few posting that some members feel obligated to fill the >gap, and perpetuate the illusion that the Vanagon list is still the biggest >and best VW web mailing list on the internet?

and