Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:56:16 -0500
From:         Ed Carroll <ecarroll@MAINE.RR.COM>
Subject:      Another lame-o fastener question

It seems like I'm always asking the list for advice on how to get things unstuck. I should probably be looking for a good used oxy-acetylene torch on this one, then I'd have most of my problems solved, one way or another. (In frustration this weekend I dropped $50 on a MAPP torch, which by my experience is much faster than propane but not much hotter.)

Anyway, I'm finally tearing down for a head gasket replacement. I've got S&S headers with less than 10,000 miles since new, so keeping the system re-usable is a priority. I unfastened and removed the pipe between the collector and the cat. convertor. The nuts came off the exhaust manifold studs just fine. Then all I had to do was separate the two halves of the headers at two clamped pipe joints and slide each half off the manifold studs. I'd say I've got about 8 hours into that task at this point, soaking, heating, tapping, tugging, banging, rinse lather repeat with growing assertiveness, etc. I even made up a tool that uses two pipe clamps and a hub puller to work as a spreader, but with considerable force it managed to bend drop forged tools before opening the pipe joint even a bit. I finally got one joint to where the male can be rotated ever so slightly within the female, but it will not be backed out.

After another coffee break to gain new perspective, I finally decided to back all the exhaust studs out and simply drop the exhaust system out that way. Snapped two studs without even trying; one actually came loose with so little effort that I'm convinced the garage that put the exhaust on had broken it first and put it back in. Worse yet, the rearward half of the header is wrapped behind (around?) the rear engine crossmember, so even with the headers down they cannot be removed from the engine compartment.

Since the garage I have it in for work is over an hour away, I soaked the penetrating oil to everything in sight and left in disgust. So now I need: Eight new exhaust studs, a stud extractor, and the tap to chase/clean the threads of the exhaust ports. And I still need to break those pipe joints loose.

Is there a special tool for pulling pipes apart? Do I just need a hotter torch? What should I be looking for in a stud extractor?

Thanks for any help,

Ed Carroll 87 Westy half camper