Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:59:48 -0500
From:         Jeff Strickrott <jstric01@CS.FIU.EDU>
Subject:      WTB: NOS or never rebuilt CV Type IV Case for up to $300

Hi All:

I am looking for a Type IV 2.0L air-cooled Vanagon engine case, marked as CV###### near the breather box. A CV case was used in Vanagons between 80-83. It has the enclosed breather box (part of the casting) and normally had hydraulic lifters.

I am willing to pay for a good case but only if it meets my specifications:

- It must provable have standard main bearing bores, thrust, camshaft bores, and lifter bores. That usually means it must have low miles, never been rebuilt, never been overheated or have had the oil screen bolt over tightened,

- The cylinder deck must be in good shape, no major dings or scratches,

- The case must never have been pried apart (by screwdrivers or similar),

- All gasket-mating surfaces must be in excellent shape. This includes the rear and front main seal surfaces. They must not have any dings/scratches from pulling the seal, and

- Of course no cracks or other major problems (i.e. stripped oil drain plug or cylinder studs).

There are two ways to measure a case to see if it is standard:

1. Torque the case to 22-24 ft-lb and then using a dial bore gage (calibrated to 0.0001), at a known temperature (around 78ºF as aluminum has a thermal expansion of 0.00013 inches per 10ºF, double for internal diameters), measure the bearing bores. For a standard case they should not be egg shaped and be within:

Main bearings #1-3 2.7559 - 2.7567 (70.000 – 70.019 mm) #4 1.9685 – 1.9696 (50.000 – 50.016)

Cam bores: 1.0826 – 1.0835 (27.50 – 27.521 mm)

Lifter bores: 0.9448 – 0.9457 (24.00 – 24.02 mm)

Oil Pump bore: 2.7559-2.7570 (70.000 – 70.030 mm)

2. Insert a new standard bearing and measure the removal force using a spring scale (a good fish scale from Walmart). For bearings 1-3 use bearing # 3, and #4 for bearing #4. The removal force should be greater than 12 lbs for 1-3 and 8 lb for #4. This will not tell you that they are egg shaped but will give a quick indication if the bores have sufficient crush force. Measure both sides. The cam is checked by bolting the case together and over torquing the 6 large bolts. It should not turn. Lifter bores can be tested by hand fitting a lifter in the bore. I of course will pay more for method #1 than #2 as it provides a record that I can compare.

Some signs that the case has been rebuilt: - Sealing material placed on galley plugs, - The case has been painted, - The bearings from the case are not marked STD or do not have the elephant stamp, - Silicon rtv has been used on case mating surfaces, - Pry marks on the case.

The above requirements may sound anal retentive, but I have a number of used cases that need machining and I do not need to collect anymore. I am willing to work with the owner of a good case to assist/reimburse for measurement expenses if the case is an ideal candidate. If you are just looking for a quick buck or selling crap please do not reply to this message.

I will want good images of the case before buying. For pictures of a good case see here: http://www.cs.fiu.edu/~jstric01/Engine_Case.htm. This is what I will use as a measure for all candidate cases.

Pmail at jstric01@cs.fiu.edu or call at 772-460-1226 to discuss your case and make me an offer.

Regards, --Jeff Strickrott 82 Westy, South Florida