Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:12:06 -0800
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      My heads leak!

Andy and all, I have to say something about those who blame their head problems on the antifreeze that I do not think kind of antifreeze matters much in causing the leak as much in the cost of repair. The cause of the leak is clearly the design of the gasket set. Climates that have more extreme cold and heat will see the problem sooner. The very first sign will be a very small loss of coolant after the engine cools down particuliarly on a cold night. The coolant loss will start very small and will be unnoticed if you have the pushrod cover on as it will seep and dry over any over until the leak get large enough to drip beyond the pushrod tube cover and become visible to you as something on the ground. A good nose or eye can catch the leak at the early stage. Here is the rub on the phosphate. Phosphate antifreeze unlike the other orgainic will dry as phosphate salts at a ph above 8. Dibasic phosphate is higher than monobasic phophate. It is the salts drying on the head that corrode the head and make it unusable. If you catch the leak early, even with phosphate antifreeze, the head can be repaired for the cost of the head set and a lot of sweat labor. If you wait too long particularly with the caustic phosphate salts the head will be too pitted and corroded to use. Take home lesson here is fix your leak early if you want to save the head. If you plan on replacing the heads anyway, keep on going until you got the time and money to do the job. regards gary Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:06:00 -0600 From: Andy Yarnell <Andrew.Yarnell@KIMLEY-HORN.COM> Subject: My heads leak!

Yep, it is true. The fate of my wasserboxer has finally come true. I had = to park it in the driveway yesterday while I was at work. I got home = late in the snow, and moved it back to the street, saw the two puddles = in the driveway. Double checked it this morning, two little green/blue = drips coming off the bottom of the block. I am so disillusioned. I = thought it could never happen to MY Vanagon. The P.O. used some cheap = green stuff, I should have flushed and refilled with the correct coolant = sooner. I have not even driven my Van all that much this winter, I keep = going back and forth with selling it because we have 3 cars, and 2 = drivers. With another baby on the way we will need the extra room, so I = would like to keep it and possibly sell my 1992 GTi. But, I need to = either replace the heads, engine swap, 2.2L Eurocars engine, Boston Bob = engine, I just don't know. I need to make the decision mainly based on = cost, so I am just not sure what to do now.

Any support, words of encouragement, ideas, engines, etc. etc. would be = appreciated.

Hey Tom Shanley, maybe we will be doing business after all.

Thanks for reading my little rant here. Sorry if it took up too much of = your time.

Andy Lakewood, CO