Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Mar 2003 17:31:06 -0800
From:         Paul Archibald <androbus@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      0 psi comp on #1!  ;-( questions for you guys!
Comments: To: vanagon@yahoogroups.com

Hey! last week the van started sudde3nly having a hard time keeping above 60mph on a trip...on the way home it suddenly got better, so I didn't worry too much thinking burned through bad gas... Well now it's running like crap, I took out the plugs to do comp test as first step to find: #1 0 psi #2 110 psi #3 60 psi #4 115 psi!

on talking to my friend who actually owns the van, he was suggesting to do a pressure test at tdc to see where the problem is. myself I figure it really doesn't matter, something is broken, so hte head MUST come off...and maybe the other to fix the low #3 pressure too...

Oh! this hte '80 with the 2.0 air-head, not wbx

so, it comes doen to the question.. do I remove the engine? or take the head off in situ? I had always removed the engine on older vw's for this, but understand most vanagon mechanics do not. suggestions?

I'm assuming a burned valve or hole in piston to create zero psi...the plug is fouled and has mettalic deposits on it. other three are nice brown, even #3 with 60 psi....

too bad I can't just install teh grat cond. wbx I just took out of the '84 vanagon that's getting the diesil engine....

Paul