Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Mar 2003 00:01:06 -0600
From:         populuxe <populuxe@EXECPC.COM>
Subject:      Re: headlight bulb question...

john,

i think you've been starring into your headlights too long.......

if your upgrading to a relay system it's pretty easy. most of the cost of the kits is the higher watt bulbs. i did it. was easy. i did not have the luxury of time and the list. i had just finished a vacation of 1,200 miles in the vanagon and got home at 2 am. my lights would not shut off--my headlight switch fused to the closed position( i smelled it 40 minutes earlier). so after i unpack and get the kids in the house it's 3 am and i'm out pulling fuses and going through my manual and Bentley book because i could not get the dash lights off. finally i pulled that switch but the wire pins(ends) were also fused into the switch.(a patrolman stopped by to ensure no one was hot wiring my van--thank you). i finally inserted a small scrap of paper between the dimmer/resistor and called it a night. next day got on the phone to a vendor and ordered the hella kit (and a good used switch).

i think ben explained it well, 1) normal lights- out side 9004 headlights. 2) hi-beams- out side 9004 lights on hi-beam; plus the added bonus of the driving (h-4?) lights inside. no reflector changes. so, upgrade that lighting system on your schedule.

a week after my repair, my wife calls me at night with the van out of town at her mothers: "head lights don't work". she stays overnight. now i'm really rethinking the problem. turns out she tried turning on the lights w/o the motor or key turned on...

chris c 90 mv owner wife 90 mv driver

So when the Hella kit is installed, its the outer lights that get the new reflectors?

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver