Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Mar 2003 08:44:54 EST
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: high lift jack? P/N for 16" Syncro jack extension cup
Comments: To: al_knoll@PACBELL.NET, rlussier@lenscraft.com

In a message dated 3/3/03 10:05:11 PM Pacific Standard Time, al_knoll@PACBELL.NET writes:

<< So who will leap into the breach? Jim of syncrohead fame has a pair of lifting inserts specifically designed for Hi-Lift Jacks Simple design. If I do it they'll be 25$ each prepaid. If BenT does it it'll be 45$ each but you get a set if shiny black studs too. If Jordanvw does it who knows what it will cost? If terry does it ... well. If schvenkenstein does it you're stuck with stolen goods and springenthingys that don't. If Tassi's does it you'll get em next year. If Kasper does it, he'll be single. So Ben McC, fame and glory awaits... Did I miss anybody? ...reloading... >>

I want to correct my earlier post regarding the manufacturer of the jack and extension. Both are made by Storz rather than Bilstein. However, I suspect that Bilstein makes the same jack and extension combo. Both companies made jacks and other tools for VW.

Anyway, the part number for the metal cup extension is:

251 011 261

It turns out to be only an inch added height. Though my Syncro came with another lift enhancer, a one inch thick by siz inch diameter steel disc to use all of this with, I suspect the steel disc is just an add on my the former owner -- a local water company in Europe.

To imagine how these things are used, just think of 'pensioner' in drag. The jacks would be his platform shoes. These extensions would be thick pads he can slip under his heels to give him additional height.

PICS available via pmail. I will post online when I get around to it. No, not of Al Knoll in the latest couture. Just the extension.

I can see how easily a competent welder can cobble-up something like this from just about anything strong enough to take the with of the Vanagon. However, it would need to be very thick to rival the height afforded by a Hi-Lift jack.

BenT