Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:44:41 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Boston Camping - One More Time
Comments: To: "Royston, Jerry" <gmr@OBPA.USDA.GOV>

At 09:50 AM 3/4/2003, Royston, Jerry wrote: >whether there are campsites with easy access to the city. I promise this >will be my last posting on this subject. If I don't hear from anyone, I >guess I'll just book a hotel (arghh!).

That's silly, mate -- squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that, so keep on squeaking. Marathon runners shouldn't give up so easy. <g> Also, a few minutes with google will get you most all I've written below and lots of other stuff besides...

I live in Providence, about an hour south of Boston. You're most welcome to come by for coffee, meal or whatever, but Providence has an overnight parking law and our driveway has one too many cars in it already -- however that will probably change by April, so check back with me if you're interested, before you make final arrangements.

Hopkinton is WSW of Boston, obviously about 25 miles...the race starts there and ends in downtown (more-or-less) Boston. The Boston metro area (say, everything inside Rte 128, the inner ring-road) is very congested -- the commercial campground that claims to be closest to Boston is http://www.blackbearcamping.com in Salibury MA, just south of the NH border, thirty miles maybe?

The Mass state park system (fees at http://www.state.ma.us/dem/recreate/camprate.htm ) has two campgrounds near Boston, Harold Parker State Forest in Andover http://www.state.ma.us/dem/parks/harp.htm and Wompatuck State Park in Hingham http://www.state.ma.us/dem/parks/womp.htm . Andover is due North near Rte 93, and Hingham is on the South Shore, SE of Boston.

Parking in Boston is at a premium, much better to avoid if possible and use the T (MBTA, i.e. subway) for in-town transportation, especially since a Westy won't fit in many (most? all?) of the parking garages. Hopkinton I have no idea, except that there will be more people there for the race than actually live in the town...I assume the organizers have facilities/arrangements for runners?

david

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"