Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Mar 2003 21:21:07 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: engine conversion
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>

Please see ####

I guess what what M. Sullivan did on his TDI install was not suitable? see this link:

http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/TDI/

#### If I recall correctly he had to do some modifications to make it all fit under the lid. The many TDI installations that I have seen in Germany have problems with clearance of the lid and the injector pump and alternator - usually requires removal of sound proofing and shimming down the motor a little. Michael did an excellent job of getting his motor installed - there is lots of custom work done to his swap and his van which has lead to his very enviable setup that I give two thumbs up to. His swap is beyond the financial and mechanical means of most of us on the list which makes it not as practical for us to choose the path he took

The Tiico install has had alternator induced vibration problems due to the its bracket arrangement. But as has just been discussed on this list, the alternator bracket swap is a straightforward solution.

#### I don't think it is a straightforward solution. I get a lot of people on a regular basis asking me how to fix this problem as they feel that Tiico doesn't have the answers that will help them. The people who have this problem don't feel it is a straightforward fix... they look at it as though they are dumping more money on a conversion that was sold as complete and they are finding out after it is too late that it isn't as complete as they though.

You diss the TiiCo install on your website too, isn't that enough?

#### I am not 'dissing' anyone, I am simply stating what I other customers and vendors relay on to me and what I know to be correct. I am very sure that many people will agree with me that the TiiCo setup isn't the bed of roses it was cracked up to be.

I suppose if you want to use some pie pan or a sheet metal box, or build up a false floor in the back of your van that's your decision, but tell me how that actually provides more storage space!

#### Yes, Allister, you would build a false floor to accommodate the sheet metal box that you would fasten to the engine cover. This would give you 3.5" if storage under this false floor for things like you jack, booster cables, 1L of oil, some tools and other stuff that usually sits under the rear seat taking up space that you would rather use for things that you want to access everyday. The biggest complaint I hear about the campers is a lack of storage space - this is one solution to that problem. It also acts as sound proofing for the I4 motor as well, which isn't a quiet as the wasserboxer in my opinion. I have seen some really nice false floors built that people have applied laminate to that is exactly the same as the Westfalia finish - looks almost stock. Still enough room to get the rear cabinet door open with the mattress in place too.

I mean "more", not "different".

#### I understand the difference between more and different, my five year old has a good comprehension of this too... to me this solution does give you more space.

Is it some sort of new "Fast Forward Space Warp Technology (pat.pend.)?

#### F.F.S.W.T. has been in available for a long time - where have you been?

Oh, and does the stock Vanagon 1.6TD lie at 15 degrees?, no? oh? it does lie over at 50 degrees and doesn't intrude into the passenger compartment, what were VW engineers thinking about? what a waste of space.

Alistair

#### Thank you for taking me out of context here Alistair, where did I say that the VW factory mounted the motor at 15 degrees in a Vanagon? I just can't quite see where you saw that - can me make we wrong again???? You are right Alistair, the 1.6TD does lay over at 50 degrees in the European T3 and it doesn't protrude into the passenger compartment, yes this is true, a very good observation. Have you ever seen or worked on a FACTORY 1.6TD T3 with air conditioning? Noooo.... well, there is the odd one out there - very rare but they DO exist. The brackets for the AC compressor on the 1.6TD are unique to the T3 and you can't redly buy these parts in North America - I think you would have a hard time doing this in Germany too. In fact, you can't make a 1.6TD / 1.9TD / 1.9TDI Vanagon from parts that are *redly available* in North America - period. A stock MF, AAZ, AHU engine from a Golf, Jetta, Passat will not last long at 50 degrees due to oiling issues and you can't use stock Vanagon Diesel mounts to mount it. We all know that... or at least the most people who have spent any time on this list knows that. We also know that you could use a Quantum exhaust manifold to overcome the mount issue and you can get a custom oil return line that goes into a modified oil pan, but you are back to the that unnecessary and costly screwing around factor again that 95% of the people who own a Vanagon doesn't really want to do. Modification and customization is for geeks and most of us aren't really geeks when it comes right down to it - we just want to go camping or driving, not wrenching every other weekend chasing down obscure parts and mechanical gremlins. Just so we get back to the original context of the original questions and answers:

Q "Is there any engine other than tiico and subaru that will fit the vanagon without modification to the lid?"

A "All inline 4 cyl. Vw engines will fit, if you use the Diesel parts, just like the tiico does."

#### That answer wasn't 100% true. I was just stating the some facts to why they will all not work without medication, but what the heck do I know???

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models