Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Mar 2003 22:32:59 -0800
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      Re: engine conversion
Comments: To: vanagon@volkswagen.org

please note my ?????

on 4/3/03 9:21 pm, David Marshall wrote:

> > I guess what what M. Sullivan did on his TDI install was not suitable? see > this link: > > http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/TDI/ > > #### If I recall correctly he had to do some modifications to make it all > fit under the lid. The many TDI installations that I have seen in Germany > have problems with clearance of the lid and the injector pump and > alternator - usually requires removal of sound proofing and shimming down > the motor a little. Michael did an excellent job of getting his motor > installed - there is lots of custom work done to his swap and his van which > has lead to his very enviable setup that I give two thumbs up to. His swap > is beyond the financial and mechanical means of most of us on the list which > makes it not as practical for us to choose the path he took

??????So for the rest of us mere mortals we should just mount the bugger at 15 degrees with your kit?

> The Tiico install has had alternator induced vibration problems due to the > its bracket arrangement. But as has just been discussed on this list, the > alternator bracket swap is a straightforward solution. > > #### I don't think it is a straightforward solution. I get a lot of people > on a regular basis asking me how to fix this problem as they feel that Tiico > doesn't have the answers that will help them. The people who have this > problem don't feel it is a straightforward fix... they look at it as though > they are dumping more money on a conversion that was sold as complete and > they are finding out after it is too late that it isn't as complete as they > though.

????? you get a lot of people about Tiico problems? So how do you fix it then?

Why not look at what Jon <jon@FOREIGNAUTOSUPPLY.COM> just wrote tonight. He actually has some solutions instead of sniping.

> I suppose if you want to use some pie pan or a sheet metal box, or build up > a false floor in the back of your van that's your decision, but tell me how > that actually provides more storage space!

> > #### I understand the difference between more and different, my five year > old has a good comprehension of this too... to me this solution does give > you more space.

????well maybe you should listen to your 5 year old. You will actually get less space, not more. What you get are more compartments and less cargo space volume. Less height above engine hatch for large objects if you ever want to use you van for hauling things

> > #### Thank you for taking me out of context here Alistair, where did I say > that the VW factory mounted the motor at 15 degrees in a Vanagon? I just > can't quite see where you saw that - can me make we wrong again????

????I don't need to make you wrong. I want to point out that one doesn't need to run straight to Fast Forward for a 15degree mounting kit. And to point out that your statement that: >>If you start messing around with the pullies >> like they did in the TiiCo kits then it is vibration city.

?????Is not true. Think about it, these things can be fixed, just like Randy's exhaust system and hot start problems in his conversion. Its part of the game. Of course you may not want to say to the people who come to you for advice on how to fix TiiCo vibe problems that it can be fixed, of course because TiiCo is your competition.

?????And tell me again David, why is it that an engine vibrates more when it is at a 50 degree angle than at a 15 degree angle? You state on your website that there is: "No vibration - there is no felt vibration at any RPM when the engine is running" with your 15 degree TDI install kit.

Alistair (no commercial interest in I4 conversions)