Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:54:19 -0600
From:         Open Wheel Racing <openwhel@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: engine conversion

Hello,

I bought an 82 Diesel Camper in 1986 with a blown engine. I was working at a Volkswagen Dealer at the time, so factory parts were discounted, and easy to get. I used all the factory diesel mounts, flywheel/clutch, exhaust, cooling system/hoses, etc. I bought a factory rebuilt 1.8 long block, with hydraulic lifters. The basic engine was a bolt in, as you know the gas and diesel lay out are alike solving most exchange headaches right off. I bought a running (real Junker) Rabbit for $100.00, with good CIS fuel system. The intake system cleared everything short of a 1 inch hole in the inner fender well to get to the idle speed screw. I mounted the air box/fuel distributor behind the drivers side tail light. Its a little awkward to change the filter (must remove tail light assemble), but not hard. I then drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the floor of the closet to access the CO% screw. I had a muffler shop bend a 2 1/4 ID piece of tail pipe, in somewhat of a "J" shape to connect the air box and throddle boot. It lays across the valve cover (I glued a piece of heavy rubber between it and valve cover) and it even looks natural. I wanted all steel fuel lines, pressure and return, so I had to made them up using 5/16 seamless steel tubing, and double flaring the factory fittings on. I connected to the tanks inlet and outlet with "sweat" on fittings. The accumulator was leaking so it was replaced with "new", the Rabbit had a ton of miles so a new fuel pump also was in order. The pump, filter, and accumulator were all mounted to the frame rail, and used the factory mounts, flex hoses and metal lines. Throddle cable was simply spliced together with small cable splice "U" clamps. I used 86 Jetta alternator brackets, Sanyo A/C compressor brackets. Yes it has air, a front overhead unit from a regular Vanagon, makes the pop top release a little hard to get to, but its cool if you work up a sweat. The rest was the million and one detail things left, no bogies!

If you could take the time to answer:

1. kit or self devised (if kit which one?) No kit Uncle Wilhelm did most of the work in Wolfsburg.

2. year done: 1987

3. miles on van since conversion: over 50K, don't drive it much except on outings, camping, V/W meets, etc.

4. problems (if any) associated with engine conversion: Spilled a coke on engine taking a break.

5. aspects of conversion that you ARE happy with: 100% SATISFACTION!

6. aspects of the conversion you are NOT happy with: 100% SATISFACTION!

7. Cost of conversion: $100.00 Junk Rabbit, $500.00 assorted odds and ends. Now if you count the rebuilt engine $800.00, and the bus itself $1000.00. You get a total of about $2500.00.

Here is the question I would ask anyone doing a swap like this................would you do it again? DAMN SKIPPY!

I love it, this is the one Volkswagen let get away! This is a natural, smooth, powerful, trouble free, good mileage, low maintance, vehicle. Eat your heart out Volkswagen VAG, or VoA.

Howard