Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Mar 2003 00:58:38 -0500
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@COMMUNITYBUILDERS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: 1.9L-still no cold idle-looking for ideas-long
Comments: To: Scott Wilson <smorewhisky@YAHOO.COM>

Scott, I had this problem on an '83 watercooled westy. Some stuff I did: - replaced auxiliary air regulator (helped at first, then problem recurred) - adjusted valves (kind of helped, but problem still occurred) - replaced idle control stabilizer unit (This solved the problem)

on an 1983, the idle control stabilizer unit is a small black box with two wires coming out the bottom. It was $50 from VolksCafe. i heard that it helped sometimes and didn't help other times. I bought one anyway and for me it solved the problem.

I spent 2 months trying to find a vacuum leak, but never found one. Replaced all my 3mm tube connectors, put sealant on various connectors, put hose clamps on my exaust manifold gaskets. Sprayed carb cleaner all around the running engine to check for speed up. Found nothing.

Putting a new idle control stabilizer worked, so I gave up trying to look for other sources of the problem. Though, I suspect there is something else wrong too.

-- Craig