Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Mar 2003 18:12:40 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: window tint
Comments: To: Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>

In Alabama the law says 35% light transmission - meaning 65% of the light must go through - on the driver and passenger windows. On the side and rear window you can go to limo tint if you want. Windshield must remain clear. 100% light transmission required on the windshield. Exception is if you have a medical problem related to exposure to light, then you can get a tint on your windshield. I don't know what that particular limit is however.

In the real world, however, private owners put tint on the windshield to reduce glare AND block UV. There are metal sputtered films that are virtually clear, but not quite. It takes someone with a meter to really tell the difference and then it is out of limits by only a few percent. The average person standing and looking at a window tinted with this stuff can't tell the difference. But get in the vehicle there will be 50 degrees difference in temperature between a fully tinted vehicle - windshield included - and one with the windshield untinted.

Here in the Deep South I don't know of anyone who has been ticketed for a near clear tinted windshield with this kind of tint, and it does help the heat and UV problem.

I'm not suggesting you tint your windshield. I'm just telling of what I know goes on!

And while I'm not saying I have a tinted windshield, I can say I don't get sunburn through it.. ;-)

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver