Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Mar 2003 18:56:09 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: window tint
Comments: To: developtrust <developtrust@COX.NET>

The purple tint is the result of low grade graphic tint. Looks good for 6 months and then it's gone. Use LLumar. High quality, metal coated, 7 year warranty. Serious UV protection.

As for bubbles, put 2 tablespoons of Johnsons baby shampoo in a 1 quart spray bottle, peel off the clear backing of the tint spritzing the tint as the clear backing is pulled away, spritz the glass and apply. Use an open hand to move the whole sheet in position, then use a credit card(be sure there are no nicks in the edge) and PUSH the card edge along the tint towards the edges. Taht will remove all bubbles. If you have a high quality tint film, there will be a good glue backing on it that will be uncovered when the clear backing is removed. The glue is activated by the water and shampoo. DO NOT roll down your windows for at least a week. it takes that long for the glue to set and dry. During the interim, there will appear what for all the world looks like bubbles or blisters, but if you have done it right, that is only water/glue acting under the film and it will go away as the glue cures. Don't panic and try to do anything foolish like trying to press it out. You will only cause yourself real grief and may have to replace the tint. If you should find yourself with a peeling situation, then you will have to start over with a fresh piece of tint. Don't try to fix what is there. it's hopeless.

One thing, to manage the tint during the process, there is a little trick you can do. Be sure you have on hand a squeegee, a sharp razor blade or a snap-off-blade cutter. The tint has two parts. The tint itself, and a clear peel off layer called a release liner. Say you are going to tint the passenger glass. To begin, clean the glass thoroughly inside and outside. Then lower the glass just enough to get the top shape of the glass exposed so a razor can be run along the edge. Then rough cut a piece of tint, spritz the outside of the glass, and stick the tint side of the material to the glass, release layer to the outside. With the SHARP razor cut the tint to shape. Be very careful in cutting because it is easy to scratch the glass. Once cut to shape, remove the release layer, spritz the glue side, spritz the inside of the glass, and apply the tint with a wide open hand. Then spritzed the surface of the tint. Use the squeegee to smooth the tint from the center out. Then use the credit card.

Good Luck,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver