Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Mar 2003 23:34:30 -0800
From:         Nock <McNock@EASYSTREET.COM>
Subject:      Re: seals
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@uvic.ca>

I wanted to cut wind noise

I observed that the doors have at least 1 flat surface to work with all around.

Glued "d", hollow foam (from auto store) to front and top of jam (not to door). Positioned so that when door closed, rubber was flush with exterior. Use knife to trim extra thickness away on top where clearance was only 1/4 inch. Looks a little "funky when door is open and you are tall and looking down"

On back of door, glued 1/4 square rubber with tinny lip to door (not to jam), following contour exactly. The tiny lip, sealed wonderfull against jam, without much binding.

Did nothing below waist level.

Did same thing to leading edge of sliding door, but ended up using about a 3/4 hollow round shape.

Replaced outside window gaskets with those from vanagain (pricey!)

Well, windnoise is not a problem. Really, almost none at less that 55. "wisps" at over 55, esp in gusty conditions, but clearly tire noise (and some engine noise) is now the issue - however, I think I may have forgotten how bad it may have been. Now all I notice is how darn loud those tire are.

Looks pretty darn good too. Very "flush". I would reccomended it. Is it worth doing pictures/part numbers for your "web site"

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alistair Bell" <albell@uvic.ca> To: "Nock" <McNock@easystreet.com> Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 10:05 PM Subject: Re: