Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Mar 2003 00:22:04 -0800
From:         Mark Belanger <belanger@FLUID.COM>
Subject:      Hall Sender replacement on a Digifant/2.1L engine

If you're reading this, you either have nothing better to do(Hi, Stan) or have just searched the archives in a vain attempt to learn how to replace your Hall Sender. "It's just a simple little piece of plastic held down by three screws," you say. How hard can it be? You may also be trying to get a clue as to why the Bentley and Haynes manuals show a distributor that doesn't quite look like yours. No, my friend, you have the correct distributor in your car, VW just decided to bend you over a tree stump and pack your bearings, if you know what I'm saying. More on this later...

Since you're actually considering replacing your Hall Sender, I can also assume you're either a) not a mechanic, b) a mechanic and a masochist, c) really stubborn or d) just trying to learn(yes, keep telling yourself that, Mark... the pain will go away).

Unless your time is worth exactly _nothing_, I'd recommend that you just purchase a new distributor(note that I said new, not rebuilt) and be done with it. There are a lot of reasons for this, but they're generally really boring, so just trust me.

What? You don't trust me?

Let's do the math, shall we:

Replacement distributor: $250 Replacement Hall Sender: $135 ----------------------------- Total you'll save: $115

So if everything goes perfectly, you'll save $115. Woo! Crack and prostitutes on you tonight! But what if the pin gets stuck? What if you don't have a press? What if the bakelite washer mysteriously vaporizes as soon as you look at it(it will)? What if, what if, what if? That's a pretty small margin for this to remain in your financial best interest.

Stubborn, eh? I don't know what I'm talking about, eh? You already read "Mark vs. The Distributor Chapter 1" [http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0303A&L=vanagon&P=R11433] and think I'm a complete moron, eh? Well, this last point is self evident, but I'm ignoring that fact.

Righty-o, then. Let's replace your Hall Sender...

HOW-TO REPLACE A HALL SENDER ON A DIGIFANT/2.1L ENGINE ------------------------------------------------------ So by this point, I assume you've read my earlier post listed above and have gotten the pin out of the "driving dog" at the bottom of your distributor. From that point, it'll come apart really easily and you'll have something that looks like this:

Oh, where or where have my circlips gone? [http://www.geocities.com/mbelanger/dist/] then choose dist4.jpg

As you remove the main shaft, be oh, so, delicately careful with the black washer on the end of the shaft. It's supposedly a "bakelite" washer and seem to be designed to crumble upon exposure to humans. I promise you it will fall apart unless you're able to keep it between it's two enclosing thrust washers. Even then it probably will. Already crumbled when you pulled it out of your engine? "No problem," you think, "it's just a dumb little black washer. I'll just order a replacement." No, actually, you won't. Because neither VW or Bosch sell them directly, nor any of the other components to rebuild your distributor. I take that back, you will find it if you pull it off another distributor, which is ultimately how I got mine. (Yes, your brain should detect a severe problem with this).

The oh, so fragile bakelite washer [http://www.geocities.com/mbelanger/dist/] then choose dist5.jpg

OK, so you've successfully managed to track down one precious washer, so you can replace that Hall Sender, finally. Three screws and it's swapped. But, wait... "What the hell," you say to yourself slightly confused? "This thing doesn't seem to quite fit." Uh, huh. That's because Bosch apparently doesn't sell the exact Hall Sender for your model year any more. Don't worry, it still seems to work. The screws are still the same, just the plastic shield is smaller, so you'll only risk allowing all the crap from the engine in your distributor or worse possibly snapping off the connector trying to connect and remove the Hall Sender wiring plug. No worries!

Press on! Now that you've replaced the Hall Sender, time to start reassembly. You're out of the woods now, because you've consulted your Hayne's diagram(5B.4.20) and secured a "sturdy" bakelite washer. Psyche! There's a second one you forgot about:

The oh, so fragile *second* bakelite washer! [http://www.geocities.com/mbelanger/dist/] then choose dist6.jpg

Fuck it. At this point, you'll just pitch the bakelite and listen to the Haynes manual and replace those washers with plastic(!). "Engines don't really get *that* hot," you think to yourself. Oh, by the way, good luck finding this washer. At lot of parts stores are going to bend over backwards to help you look for a 10 cent washer.

Since there can't be any slack in that distributor, you managed to stuff something on that shaft, bakelite or otherwise, and you've reassembled it, per the Haynes manual. You've put the pin back in and the ridiculous overkill retaining spring keeping the pin from slipping out. Did you notice that the "driving dog" key is eccentric and only works one way, despite fitting correctly both ways? "Doh!"

If not, here's a tip: hold the distributor like your going to install it. The bracket should be facing forward. Right around 4 o'clock, there's a notch in the distributor body. Make sure the rotor notch in the top of the shaft is parallel to that, with the open side closest to the notch in the body. (The notches aligned indicates the rotor is pointing to plug #1). At this point, attach the "driving dog" key on the bottom of the distributor shaft, with the "heavy" side on the left. Make sure you get this right, because if you don't, that fun little pin has to come out again. This was one of the few things I got right the first time.

The distributor is fixed. Reinstall and double-check the timing. Hooray! It's Miller Time!

In case you haven't figured it out, this is probably not the best use of your time, but if you're a glutton, I hope this helps. At the very worst, you'll meet a lot of nice people as you beg for help and learn more than you ever possibly wanted to know about distributors for Digifants.

Oh, by the way, I'll be here to call you a numbnuts to swat you on the back of the virtual head. "Woo, woo, woo! A wise guy, eh?"

Good luck, MB