Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Mar 2003 07:09:15 -0800
From:         Dana Morphew <kadm@PUGETSOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: suddenly knocking engine (help)

Just to clarify/embellish a little if it's even needed. The "anti-return" valve, usually just inside of the perimeter oil inlets of the filter, keeps the oil from draining out of the filter when the oil pump is not operating. It probably helps to keep the siphon effect from slowly draining oil from the downstream side of the filter, (the filter media may not allow this siphoning to occur...don't know), including the lifters. This shortens the time or avoids all together the brief period of "oil starvation" that will otherwise happen until the filter can be refilled and the downstream side can be replenished or "pumped-up" with oil after you start the engine.

Dana