Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Mar 2003 11:34:50 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: gas tank causing stalling?
Comments: To: debbie walters <debbwa@EARTHLINK.NET>

Drive it a bit until it act up. Then get out and take off or loosen you gas cap. Drive it some more. Note the difference. It the performance improves, you have a vent/vacumm/fuel return line problem. most likely. At least it is a place to start.

I had a jeep wagoneer once that did this. Acted starved of fuel. I also noted the gas gage seemed to indicate more fuel in the tank, not less. I popped off the gas cap - with great difficulty and I thought it was just stuck - and there was a great whooshing sound as air rushed in. I had a plugged vent line and as the fuel was pumped out the tank was collapsing. The more it resisted collapsing the harder the fuel pump strained until it simply couldn't pump more fuel. Then the engine starved.