Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:23:54 -0800
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Why Must I Use a Bar Type Torque Wrench On Cylinder Head
Comments: cc: SyncroWesty@ATTBI.COM

Cory, My guess about why a bar type torque wrench is required is because of that snotty sealer that you put on the headbolt caps. I noticed that I slightly overfilled one of these caps and it was a bit of a sticky wicket to tighen to torque specification. I would loan you mine if you were nearby but a good long boxed end wrench with a spring scale could work too. Sealer sets up in 45 minutes so you kind of have to work fast. Lube the pushrod tube covers seals so you can rotate them to seal them as you have little time to check on all these details. Remember to expand the pushrod tubes to specification. many happy torques, gary Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:41:41 -0700 From: SyncroWesty <SyncroWesty@ATTBI.COM> Subject: Why Must I Use a Bar Type Torque Wrench On Cylinder Head Bolts?

Why must I use a Bar Type Torque Wrench on the Cylinder Head Bolts? While I have 3 click type torque wrenches I do not own a bar type.

Is the Bently manual wrong on this? As it is about removing the crankshaft pulley, and Fuel Injectors?

Would setting a Click Type Wrence to 1 ft/lb over spec work?

I don't want to go buy a bar type wrench.

Thanks,

Cory