Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Mar 2003 11:21:50 -0500
From:         Joachim Preiss <spielmobil@SNUTTIG.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bleeding the clutch.

I am in the process of replacing the clutch master cylinder myself, and was browsing German T3 sites last night hoping I would learn how to bleed the clutch hydraulics. This is what I found:

According to several posts on the German Bulliforum http://t3forum.de/, it's pretty easy. The front clutch hydraulics bleeds on its own due to the reservoir sitting on top of the master cylinder. Just keep pressing and depressing the clutch 20 times and air in the system will work its way up to the reservoir. To bleed the slave cylinder in the engine bay, open the bleeder screw 1/2 turn, and put a clear PVC hose over it. Make sure it doesn't leak. Put the other end of the hose in a glass filled with some break fluid. This avoids air being sucked in. Now have an assistant press and depress the clutch until no more air bubbles escape through the hose. Tighten the bleeder screw while the pedal is pressed. Done.

As I said this is what I found on that forum and I haven't tried it yet myself. Good thing you don't have to crawl under your vehicle, but you need an assistant. Let me know if it worked for you.

I am planning to change the break fluid at the same time, as I don't know how old it is. Bleeding the breaks appears to be similar just times 4 for each wheel separately. On the other hand I got a feeling I shouldn't mess with the breaks as they're my parachute and I don't want that to fail.

Cheers Joachim Acton, MA [mailto:spielmobil@snuttig.net} '85 Westfalia 1.9WBX 'Spielmobil'