Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Mar 2003 09:40:05 -0800
From:         Tom Young <tomyoung1@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bleeding the clutch.
Comments: To: John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2003 7:03 AM Subject: Bleeding the clutch.

> OK, guys, (and ladies) > > I have installed the new clutch master and I have filled the fluid > tank. > > [snip] > Are there return springs in the master and slave cylinders. Or does the > spring pressure of the clutch pressing against the clutch actuating arm > apply pressure backward against the piston in the slave cylinder which > in turn pushing fluid backward to the clutch master which pushes the > clutch master piston back up to contact the clutch pedal plunger rod?????

The latter.

> Is this why pressure bleeding from the slave cylinder is required? To > simulate the clutch spring return pressure to drive the fluid back up > through the system? I'm just trying to understand it, and Bentleys is > worthless in this regard. > > Finally, isn't there some way to pressure bleed the thing without having > to go out and buy an expensive pressure bleeder?? Or is there some > simple little thing like a Mighty Vac that is applied to brake bleeding, > but is instead usable for clutch bleeding?

In the 20+ years I've owned my Vanagon I've replaced the master/slave cylinders twice and, frankly, I've never had a problem bleeding the system. Since I only got a Mighty Vac 5 or 6 years ago I know the first time I bled the system I used the tried and true method of the SO stepping on the pedal. If I remember correctly I had the SO pump the pedal a few times and the very slowly depress the pedal as I opened the bleeder on the slave, closing it at the bottom of the downstroke. I can't recall if I used the Mighty Vac on the second replacement - things kind of blur together after so many years - but, if I replace the hydraulics a third time I'll first try the Mighty Vac knowing I can always fall back to the SO method. --------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Young '81 Vanagon Lafayette, CA 94549 '82 Westfalia ---------------------------------------------------------------